Skip to main content

The trips you remember: (continued)

flying to Malaysia:  We had a rule that if you went to meet a customer you had to fly their aircraft.  So I book on Malaysian Airlines (Montreal, Vancouver, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur).  Everything is fine, till we get to Vancouver where an actuator for a thrust reverser is broken, and a mechanical delay is caused.

Three hours later everything is fixed, but by then several customers refuse to sit down -- they want a different aircraft...flight is scrubbed (because the crew was timed out)and we are put up in a hotel overnight (where the same aircraft takes off and start its journey).  

We eventually land in Taipei for refueling (these were the days) and as we take off, the thrust reverse flap opens (its a 747 so not the end of the world) pilot shut down the engine and we return to Taipei -- I'm ushered to another Malaysian airline aircraft and arrive in KL 28 hours late.

The next day I sit down with the CEO, CFE, and Chairman of the airline -- who chides me for being 36 hours late (no one had told him of the disaster of my flight -- nor did I), that evening over a few beers with the CEO and CFO (who are not Muslims) we laugh about the whole thing -- cheap evening they insisted in paying to thank me for not making the Chairman look like a moron that doesn't know about his airline's problems.

Even got the mandate.

Flying into Nepal:  Because I was meeting with government officials my firm got me a business visa instead of a normal travel visa.  The reception I got at the airport was completely unexpected -- I got a third-degree and was arrested by the police (BTW I was the only one with a business visa on that flight).  Fast forward three hours of interrogation by the police...no joking!  I had no idea what all that was about.  Eventually, I was "allowed" to call my contact in Kathmandu who was waiting for me.  Told him I had been detailed because I had a business Visa.

What I didn't know was that I was supposed (it was kept a secret) to meet with the King that evening -- we were there to help the national carrier with its fleet of aircraft. 40 minutes after "my call" there is very very loud noise outside the detention room, and suddenly a number of military walk-in (I was very very concerned by that point) I thought "do they think I'm here to start a coup!"  

Anyway, two seconds later walks in (my contact, the chief delegate from the Canadian consulate, the head of the police, and the head of the presidential guards -- seriously) and outside there are 200 soldiers (not really but there were a few!!! they take me out with my luggage (bags had been destroyed...) and we got in a car.

I was late for my meeting with the king, no joking.  I arrived in a rumpled suit with two days of travel. What followed was a surreal conversation, he must have noticed how I was attired, but never said a thing.  Needless to say that the rest of my visit went very well and again we got the mandate!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ok so I lied...a little (revised)

When we began looking at farming in 2013/14 as something we both wanted to do as a "second career" we invested time and money to understand what sector of farming was profitable.  A few things emerged, First, high-quality, source-proven, organic farm products consistently have much higher profit margins.  Secondly, transformation accounted for nearly 80% of total profits, and production and distribution accounted for 20% of profits: Farmers and retailers have low profit margins and the middle bits make all the money. A profitable farm operation needs to be involved in the transformation of its produce.  The low-hanging fruits: cheese and butter.  Milk, generates a profit margin of 5% to 8%, depending on milk quality.  Transformed into cheese and butter, and the profit margin rises to 40% (Taking into account all costs).  Second:  20% of a steer carcass is ground beef quality.  The price is low, because (a) a high percentage of the carcass, and (b) ground beef requires process

21st century milk parlour

When we first looked at building our farm in 2018, we made a few money-saving decisions, the most important is that we purchased our milk herd from a retiring farmer and we also purchased his milking parlour equipment.  It was the right decision at the time.  The equipment dates from around 2004/05 and was perfectly serviceable, our installers replaced some tubing but otherwise, the milking parlour was in good shape.  It is a mature technology. Now, we are building a brand new milk parlour because our milking cows are moving from the old farm to the new farm.  So we are looking at brand new equipment this time because, after 20 years of daily service, the old cattle parlour's systems need to be replaced.  Fear not it will not be destroyed instead good chunks will end up on Facebook's marketplace and be sold to other farmers for spare parts or expansion of their current systems. All our cattle are chipped, nothing unusual there, we have sensors throughout the farm, and our milki

So we sold surplus electricity one time last summer...(Update)

I guess that we will be buying an additional tank for our methane after all.   Over the past few months, we've had several electricity utilities/distributors which operate in our region come to the farm to "inspect our power plant facilities, to ensure they conform to their requirements".  This is entirely my fault.  Last summer we were accumulating too much methane for our tankage capacity, and so instead of selling the excess gas, that would have cost us some money, we (and I mean me) decided to produce excess electricity and sell it to the grid.  Because of all the rules and regulations, we had to specify our overall capacity and timing for the sale of electricity (our capacity is almost 200 Kw) which is a lot but more importantly, it's available 24/7, because it's gas powered.  It should be noted that the two generators are large because we burn methane and smaller generators are difficult to adapt to burn unconventional gas, plus they are advanced and can &qu