Skip to main content

Rolex

In 1990 I purchased a Rolex submarine watch for about £1,500.  At the time I thought it was a fair price for a nice practical "sports" watch.   I saw it on the wrist of a friend while scuba diving in Australia.  36 years later I still own the watch.   I mention this because last week as a surprise my wife had it cleaned and maintained professionally in London, as a surprise delayed birthday gift.

Now, I treat the watch as any watch I own. It's for work and little else, I stopped wearing it about three years ago because it did not keep time very well. I owned a seiko perpetual (which I bought ten years later) that was also automatic and kept time perfectly.

The gift was thoughtful and also included an electric autowinding case for three watches, nothing outrageous but still.  What surprised me was the value of the watch.   A 1990 (which is the year my watch was manufactured) watch is worth between £9,500 and £14,000, down from nearly £20,000 – all three figures are insane!

If memory serves, the Seiko was about £600 in 1998,. Today the Seiko is worth about £100.  This is the part that is amazing, fundamentally the seiko is a much better watch.  It keeps time for up to six months.  if you leave it in a drawer, and suddenly use it, it will adjust to the perfect time (not the date…).   My wife spent nearly £750 to service the Rolex.

It is still a nice watch!  Thanks honey


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what people get wrong about tariffs

 The issue is simple. What percentage of the economy is dependent on tariff goods? The truth, is that the US economy is far more closed than people understand. People genuinely believe that all manufacturing has ceased to exist in the United States all given to China on the altar of woke policy the truth can be further from That statement. Only about 15% of US GDP is related to foreign trade. Of that amount, slightly more than half is from Canada in Mexico. And half of that is energy. What that means, is that about 7% of US GDP is tariff dependent. The proof in the pudding, is how little money tariff generates. People think that 30 or 50 billion is a lot it’s not in an economy that has $3 trillion. The impact on the US economy will be less visible but not absent. Inflation hasn’t occurred yet first because tests have hardly started to bite, but more importantly it’s such a small percent of the economy. Now certain things are critical. The rare earth metals from China were critical....

The end of Tesla?

 it takes a special kind of idiot, to think that he can antagonize his entire customer base, and think that it will not impact his business. When Elon Musk went to work for Donald Trump, and created the doge department, he antagonized every liberal, and these people represent 90% of his client base.That’s not a brilliant move. Now Elon Musk is worth hundreds of billions of dollar, so he shouldn’t care a great deal, however, he needs to care because of several other issues. The cyber truck has been a disaster, most have had to be recalled because of defective glue, it’s not a truck, it’s not a car, it’s noisy, relatively uncomfortable, but great as a development platform. What Tesla has learned in making car manufacturing more seamless is truly amazing. The problem was that Elon Musk was so pissed with the Democrats, and with Joe Biden, in particular because of some slight, which were just plain stupid too. By the way, that he decided to support with hundreds of millions of dollar, ...

Trump and Venezuela...

The US now owns Venezuela…and not in a good way.  America is not known for its nation building skills, and yet it now owns the disaster that is Venezuela.   Starvation and exodus are the natural progression.   In addition it will become a haven for narco-terrorists, more so than it already was. I am sure that Trump and his friends really thought that little attack very well…I guess that he will now attack Iran now.