Skip to main content

My wife is extraordinary

Like Louis de Funse (French comedic actor of the 1970s), we bought my wife's ancestral seat.  Granted it was sold by her great great great grandfather in the later part of the 19th century.  As is typical in the United Kingdom, my wife has a title, because she was part of one of those families, but as my wife often told our children, a title doesn't pay the bills.

My wife grew up in a nice house in central Norwich, the family fortune having been squandered by various relatives over the past century and a half.  There was an industrial past somewhere in the late 1930s and several members of her family emigrated to the colonies.  Today she had "cousins" in Canada, Australia and the United States (whom we are visiting on an upcoming trip to San Francisco).

My wife is brilliant and did very well at school.  University is not particularly expensive in the United Kingdom, but my wife's parents were poor enough for her to get a study grant.  Study she did, and she became a lawyer.  In fact, she became a labour lawyer with a very successful practice, mostly in the City.  She was one of those lawyers who negotiated contracts for senior bankers.  

We met just before graduating from university. We actually met at one of these "official" student events.  I was finishing my studies at Trinity College and my girlfriend, at the time, had just dumped me.  I had two tickets for what is called the May Ball and no date.  A friend of a friend of a friend (yeah convoluted) suggested my future wife (she asked that I not mention her name in these blogs).  She was the replacement date.  

Our courtship was complicated because she was leaving for San Francisco a week after the ball to work in a British law firm.  Did I say that my wife was brilliant!  Anyway, we connected by sheer luck two years later in the lobby of Slaughter and May.  This was the early 1990s (no internet no email no cellphone).  Cutting to the chase,  we married in 1994.   Because of her specialty (labour law), she made Partner in 1997, and we had over the next 8 years four children (rather my wife had four children). 

My wife and I worked the entire time, she would take a few weeks off during her pregnancy (I know this is unfathomable today, but these were the 1990s. The rules were stupid), we both had substantial incomes and purchased a rather grand house early after our marriage, not in the core of London but close enough that the commute was easy.  

Until my health scare in late 2012,  we were looking at the world as "young wealthy professionals". The UK was still within the EU, our children were healthy and doing great at school, and professionally both our jobs were interesting.  We had it all.  My 2012 "heart attack" changed that forcing us to consider our future lives.  In 2012, our eldest son was 16 years old, and our youngest daughter was 9.

It is at the urging of my wife that we started contemplating changing our lives.  Brexit was the second catalyst of our decision to modify our professions.

My wife was one of the first, to think of leaving her practice.  Her view, after the June 2016 vote, was that the City would change quickly, even before Brexit we were seeing changes to compensation packages in the City (her bread and butter).  The massive compensation packages for City employees were fewer and fewer.  In 2015, my wife saw a 10% drop in revenues.  Brexit, in her opinion, would accelerate an already present trend.

As my wife said, the big-salary City jobs were disappearing (the impact of 2008) and after "the vote" the trend accelerated.  Not to say that her practice was going down the drain, but she no longer considered adding lawyers to her team (specialized in labour law).  Everyone in the city could see the writing on the wall, business would continue but operations would grow elsewhere!

It was my brilliant wife who in 2017 suggested that we change our lifestyle and consider returning to Norfolk (we both grew up there).  It is my wife who found the farm.  She found out via her mother; that a five-time removed cousin was selling the family seat, after having re-acquired it in the late 1980s.  I think they were thinking of building a farm.  It is my wife who did the research it is my wife who had a professional economic analysis done of the farming in the UK.  She did the heavy lifting.

Our timing was spectacular.  My wife and I decided to sell our London house in 2018, as the real estate market was still very strong.  In 1994 we bought our house for about half a million pounds and sold it for several million in 2019.  We also sold my participation in our firm to an institutional investor who was looking to grow its fund management presence in the UK.  It is my wife who was the catalyst in selling out our London assets, our timing was good, and we were able, again because of my wife, to buy the farm (in 2018) for a very reasonable price.  

I want to pay homage to my wife, we have been together for nearly 30 years now.  in fact, we celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary just a few months ago.  

We love our lives, and buying the farm was the right decision for us and our family.  I have no idea if our children will eventually want to take over the farm.  Long ago, we decided that we were going to do things that made us happy and that we found fulfilling.  My wife is incredibly adaptable, last week together we went bouldering for the first time.  Just have to say that my wife looks good in lycra.  But the reality is that the workout was excellent, we also discovered that the climbing center we used has a spectacular restaurant.  

We are both looking forward to leaving the UK for two weeks of ski and sunshine.  It will make a nice change.

Note:  for those not of the UK, the City is the country's financial centre, although it is also a London Borough its is more of a general area (since it also includes the Docklands now).à


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ok so I lied...a little (revised)

When we began looking at farming in 2013/14 as something we both wanted to do as a "second career" we invested time and money to understand what sector of farming was profitable.  A few things emerged, First, high-quality, source-proven, organic farm products consistently have much higher profit margins.  Secondly, transformation accounted for nearly 80% of total profits, and production and distribution accounted for 20% of profits: Farmers and retailers have low profit margins and the middle bits make all the money. A profitable farm operation needs to be involved in the transformation of its produce.  The low-hanging fruits: cheese and butter.  Milk, generates a profit margin of 5% to 8%, depending on milk quality.  Transformed into cheese and butter, and the profit margin rises to 40% (Taking into account all costs).  Second:  20% of a steer carcass is ground beef quality.  The price is low, because (a) a high percentage of the carcass, and (b) ground beef requires process

21st century milk parlour

When we first looked at building our farm in 2018, we made a few money-saving decisions, the most important is that we purchased our milk herd from a retiring farmer and we also purchased his milking parlour equipment.  It was the right decision at the time.  The equipment dates from around 2004/05 and was perfectly serviceable, our installers replaced some tubing but otherwise, the milking parlour was in good shape.  It is a mature technology. Now, we are building a brand new milk parlour because our milking cows are moving from the old farm to the new farm.  So we are looking at brand new equipment this time because, after 20 years of daily service, the old cattle parlour's systems need to be replaced.  Fear not it will not be destroyed instead good chunks will end up on Facebook's marketplace and be sold to other farmers for spare parts or expansion of their current systems. All our cattle are chipped, nothing unusual there, we have sensors throughout the farm, and our milki

So we sold surplus electricity one time last summer...(Update)

I guess that we will be buying an additional tank for our methane after all.   Over the past few months, we've had several electricity utilities/distributors which operate in our region come to the farm to "inspect our power plant facilities, to ensure they conform to their requirements".  This is entirely my fault.  Last summer we were accumulating too much methane for our tankage capacity, and so instead of selling the excess gas, that would have cost us some money, we (and I mean me) decided to produce excess electricity and sell it to the grid.  Because of all the rules and regulations, we had to specify our overall capacity and timing for the sale of electricity (our capacity is almost 200 Kw) which is a lot but more importantly, it's available 24/7, because it's gas powered.  It should be noted that the two generators are large because we burn methane and smaller generators are difficult to adapt to burn unconventional gas, plus they are advanced and can &qu